Calling all designers, artists, scholars, students and foodies of all types to come map, document, co-create, re-invent and preserve Shanghai’s street food.
Street food is an essential part of urban culture. The greatest cities all have street food. In its rich variety Shanghai’s street food is a true testament to the hybrid culture of this migrant metropolis. Yet, while elsewhere a street food movement is growing, Shanghai’s street food is under threat. IT IS TIME TO ACT.
- We declare Shanghai’s street food must be saved!
- We dream of a street food true to a new age — tasty, fast, cheap and convenient and also healthy, safe and clean.
- We honor the makeshift creativity and micro-entrepreneurship of the street.
- We mourn all that has been lost in the name of ‘cleaning up the street’ (Xiangyang Lu, Wujiang Lu, Tianping Lu etc…)
- We celebrate the art and mastery of city’s best street chefs
- We imagine night markets and alleyways filled with new culinary mutations.
- We thrive off the intensity of street markets, which give cities life and deplore the sterility of shopping malls with their fast food courts and restaurant chains.
- The Future Metropolis must have street food!